Tuesday, June 23, 2009

3 months left and counting....


Well I have exactly three months left of carrying the title 'unmarried'. On the 23 September I tie the knot with the love of my life.

Now before you say that I'm getting all mushy, you must understand that getting married is a big step for me. Not that it isn't a big step for other people but subjectively it's a big step for me. I can still remember the time in the not to distant past where I used to openly boast to my friends that I would never get hitched, and here I am, wedding preperations are coming down the home straight, and I'm getting ready to spend my life with one person.

Now firstly for those of you that have never been married, I need to tell you about the joys of wedding preparations. I don't think anyone can give you enough info on how to properly prepare for your wedding as it is a rollercoaster ride filled with stress, relief and a good dose of nerves. I must say that I've been fortunate enough that Debs has handled most of the preparations and she has been a superstar in this area. I always said that if it was all left to me we would be getting married in jeans and a t-shirt in front of a magistrate.

Wedding preparations aside, I also had to wrap my head around the whole idea of getting married. You see I never grew up in a household where my mother and father were married, and ultimately I only grew up with my mom, so from a young age the whole spending your life with another person concept was unique to me. Even in my varsity days when I started dating I would drift in and out of relationships without any cause of concern, so it's been a big step for me to get my mind and attitude right for this next chapter of my life.

I think the turning point for me was to just sometimes go with the flow and not be so concerned with knowing how something will end up. You don't always have to know how your future will end up and I suppose that's one of the exciting joys of living life.

Ok, enough with the deep and mushy stuff, I have a bachelor party to look forward to.

Apparently it will take place over an entire weekend, yay!

4 comments:

  1. Hiya Mic

    funny thing that, you getting married. But what a great persoanl post - coming from a single parent home is something I never really considered in great depth before.

    As for making wedding plans. I'm starting to feel this was me and CV start that long journey. As soon as you're done, you'll have to get ready to lend advise to us too ;0)

    Ciao4Now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always glad to help out. The biggest tip I can give from the outset is don't underestimate the amount of time you have until the big day, because no matter how much time you think you have, you will always have less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The real advice we want - how do we get out of paying through our skulls?

    Think it's easier to elope?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rambler trust me we have often discussed in detail the option of just jetting off to vegas to get hitched, including doing the whole Elvis wedding thing.

    Much easier option but the family will not be happy when you return with pics of you in your blue suede shoes instead of with them.

    ReplyDelete