Tuesday, August 18, 2009

To drive to drunk

It's not often that I blog two days in a row, however I had to share this with you.

Last night on my way home from the office, I noticed a green Japanese car in the left lane that was driving a little peculiar. As soon as the robot would turn green this little green machine would crawl off the mark before violently accelerating and then suddenly braking in order to avoid rear ending the car in front.

At first I thought this must be a hormonal young male intent on displaying his bravado in trying to out accelerate all other cars or he was trying to keep up with someone he was following. Then I stopped next to him and saw the real reason for this erratic driving.

Next to me was a white male, approximately early thirties, wearing a jersey that his grandmother must have knitted, sitting in this small green car and he was completely and utterly smashed. He was so drunk that he had a cigarette in his mouth, except he was trying to light the filter, which he eventually got alight, however it took him awhile before realising the whole smoking thing wasn't working and there was a problem. He then proceeded to try and throw the cigarette out the window, except the window was closed.

As the robot changed I drove off and stayed ahead of this gentlemen however keeping an eye on him in the rear view mirror, and I was amazed that despite his swerving across the entire two lane road he never hit another car or payment. When I stopped next to him at the next robot he looked at me, sorry, he tried to focus on me, however after about 15 seconds gave up and shook his head to try and keep awake.

The robot changed and off I drove and eventually he pulled off and the last time I saw him was when I think he collided with a taxi that suddenly stopped in his lane.

Now despite the humour in observing this person it really gets my back up that there are people that try and control a motor vehicle in such a state. Especially in South Africa where we are known for our high mortality rate on our roads.

I know many of us, including myself, have been guilty of driving under the influence, maybe though not to the extent of this gentleman but it still is a common pastime in this country.

Thankfully our law enforcement is starting to catch up with this trend and hopefully we can start seeing a great reduction in the number of casualties and injuries on our roads due to this plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment